- By Elder Thatcher

A Thematic Blog - -By Elder Thatcher
"By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all quote."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, October 8, 2010

The Vice of Theology

I spoke about Emerson.  Ralph Waldo Emerson , 1803-82, American poet and essayist, born in Boston, Mass. Through his essays, poems, and lectures, the "Sage of Concord" established himself as a leading spokesman of transcendentalism and as a major figure in American literature. 1

Emerson's ideas and views have always been highly respected in many circles.  I would like to join one of those circles.  Think about this:

"The vice of our theology is seen in the claim that the Bible is a closed book, and that the age of inspiration is past."

Do you believe that the age of inspiration is past?  I do not.  As a matter of fact, I know it is not. 
I have a friend who was telling me of his trip to a psychiatrist following some very traumatic experiences.  Their conversation eventually led to my friend's religious practices and the matter of prayer.  My friend said, in plain English, that he talks to God and God answers his prayers.  The next thing he knew, the skeptical doctor was writing up a prescription and my friend was walking out of the office. 
I myself have spoken, and do speak with God through prayer and I know that on a personal and intimate level, He speaks back. 


The interesting corollary presented by Emerson is that "the Bible is [not] a closed book."  I have met so many people who, whether in practice or merely in word, believe that God doesn't speak to us any more. 
Emerson began his career as a minister but left the pulpit, in part, because he felt that he had no authority to administer as he was called upon to do--in part because too many believed it impossible that God could say anything else to His children.  





 


1.  http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Ralph_Waldo_Emerson.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment